The purpose of this project was to:
• Improve electricity, gas and water efficiency in Rooming Houses, resulting in environmental and cost saving benefits for Rooming House operators;
• Increase comfort for Rooming House residents by reducing draughts in common areas;
• Collect information and identify opportunities to install, repair, or replace more complex energy and water saving equipment;
• Provide training and employment to Rooming House residents.
EnviroGroup staff conducted an energy and water audit that investigated and recorded:
• Low cost basic products which may be installed or replaced;
• Higher cost, more complex products; and
• Other items of interest.
Once the sustainability assessment was completed EnviroGroup immediately installed or replaced low cost basic products at no charge to the Rooming House.
Products installed included
- Installation of water efficient shower heads;
- Replace worn out tap washers;
- Replacing old incandescent light bulbs with new energy efficient CFL and LED light bulbs
- Installation of efficient IRC halogen lamps
- Installation of weather strips around doors and windows;
- Installation of Draftstoppa exhaust fan covers;
- Covering old internal wall vents with adjustable covers; and
- Insulating external hot water pipes.