Residential Aged Care provider Glenlyn chooses EnviroGroup to provide a unique solar power solution.
The pressure of high operating costs and rising electricity prices drove Glenlyn Aged Care in Glenroy, Victoria, to seek a solution to reduce their energy bills. Their objective was to install a solar power system that was capable of delivering the energy required to maintain heating and cooling for the centre’s residents.
EnviroGroup’s solution overcame significant challenges, including limited internal space for the location of inverters, a complex multi-faceted roof structure, restricted power disruptions during the installation, and the securing of all internal equipment against interference.
“Electricity bills were increasing at an alarming rate and with our large roof space and 7-day operation, it seemed sensible to protect ourselves,” said Nicole Sandhaus, Manager, Glenlyn Aged Care. “EnviroGroup took time to understand our business and patiently listen to all our questions.”
The end result – delivered by EnviroGroup’s highly skilled team in just 10 days – is the largest grid connected micro-inverter solar power system in the southern hemisphere. Just under 100kW, the 399 solar panel (and 399 inverter) solar power system is an impressive exercise in finding the right solution to a complex problem.
Unlike traditional inverters, the micro inverter solution from Enphase features integrated roof-mounted inverters fitted to each highly efficient Yingli solar panel. The multi-micro solar power system allows individual panel monitoring with alert system emails in the event of output interruptions. Working within the highly regulated aged care environment, Glenlyn also required a system that could be closely measured to ensure protection of their investment.
When installing solar in public buildings, safety is always a primary concern. The Enphase System was chosen for more than just its extremely safe, low-voltage, all-AC approach. The ability to contain all of the equipment on the rooftop made perfect sense for Glenlyn. The high output Yingli Panels, coupled with Enphase’s energy harvest boost, was an added bonus that made Enphase and Yingli technology the right solution.
“The final installation in just 10 days without any interruption to our daily operation was exactly as promised. The end result will provide a positive impact on our finances and reduce our greenhouse emissions,” said Sandhaus.
Highlights and Outcomes include:
- Largest grid connected Enphase micro inverter system in the southern hemisphere
- Individual panel monitoring with alert systems via email
- Installed while business was operating as usual without any negative impact to the residents or workers
- Worked closely with the USA Enphase support team to design and configure the system, ensuring the highest Australian standards were met
- Envirogroup’s in house engineering team completed the system design, electrical design, grid connection, and phase balancing
- Advanced automatic control and grid connection protection
- 10 day start to completion with no disruptions
- 150 page grid connection system report provided to the electrical distributor which was granted approval within 2 months of submission
- Ability to closely monitor individual panels to ensure the system is operating to its full capacity
- Continuous improvement is required by regulating body
- Results prove a positive cash flow for the business after a financial analysis