Solar Battery Storage
Why a battery?
Energy storage has become very popular as power prices continue to escalate, some feed-in tariffs schemes end and as battery technology evolves. Prices of battery systems have also reduced drastically meaning more and more solar owners can store their generated energy for use at night.
Not everyone has an understanding of the reasons for all the hype about batteries. The following FAQ will help pick apart the key motivations and possibilities for installing a battery system in your home.
1. Are solar batteries financially ‘viable’? The answer is YES. It is very possible to achieve payback within the warranty period of 10 years. Consider this, what else have you ever bought that will pay for itself before the warranty expires (and then for many years more!)
2. What does a solar battery do and why would I want one? Five key reasons motivate our customers to get a solar battery:
- greatly enhance your independence from energy companies
- save you lots of money
- greatly reduce your environmental impact
- with the right system, provide blackout power protection
- with Reposit, enable you to fairly trade electricity to beat the electricity companies on your own terms.
3. Is my solar system compatible with a solar battery? The answer is YES. Despite a common solar marketplace misconception, the fact is ALL solar batteries can be compatible with any solar system. That’s because both your solar system and battery system are commonly plugged into your switchboard as two separate appliances, i.e. they don’t actually need to be plugged into each other to do their jobs.
Still not convinced? Give us a call and and we can review your existing system and tell you.
4. What is Reposit? This Canberra based startup is changing how battery systems are being used in Australia. By selling your excess battery power during peak demand times, Reposit allows you to make money from your solar battery and contribute to the grid.
5. How many batteries do I need? Every solar battery is different and they come in different sizes. The question is more accurately phased as: “How much energy storage do I need and what battery will meet my needs?”. We specialise in helping you answer these questions. Enquire today and and we can use your electricity bills to tell you.
6. Can batteries be installed outside? YES – at least all of the batteries in our range can. They can also be either wall or ground mounted. Be careful of cheaper brands that aren’t weather proofed…
7. How much will a battery cost me? That depends on what you need. Most battery systems are in the range of $10,000 – $14,000 fully installed. Although, there are some small ones that are under $10,000, or cheap knock-offs from China that are even cheaper. Our experience is that “you get what you pay for”.
8. Are batteries dangerous? Billions of dollars of R&D have gone into making the leading brands safe for consumers. Be careful of:
- Cheaper knock-off batteries that get too hot or aren’t weather proofed
- Someone installing one who isn’t CEC accredited, experienced or reputable!
Since 2008 we have installed both grid connected and off-grid battery systems, here are the current battery products we stock:
One of the most well-known brands of home battery currently available, Tesla Powerwall 2 has taken the whole world by storm. The first Powerwall was one of the most anticipated products ever released.
Owner and founder of Tesla, Elon Musk, also installed the world’s largest battery system for South Australia in late 2017, which uses the same technology as the Powerwall 2. The results have been staggering.
Tesla Powerwall 2, has a seriously large battery pack of 13.5 kWh which is enough for most homes (sometimes too much). Powerwall 2 also has a built-in battery inverter which means you don’t need to buy that extra bit of hardware. It is compatible with ANY solar power system.
We have installed many Powerwalls – EnviroGroup is proud to be one of the few Authorised Tesla Installers in Australia. Many of our customers have already signed up for one and they very popular, so don’t wait longer than you should to get your own.
Enphase Energy who are world leaders in Microinverter technology also offer their own AC Battery system. Starting in 1.2kWh units, the batteries are suitable for homes with smaller energy demands.
The compact battery system is designed to be modular so it can be easily expanded, so the system size can be tailored to your home’s needs no and in the future. Providing 100% depth of discharge, you can always be sure of the amount of power being stored for use.
The lithium iron phosphate (LiFePo4) battery comes with a built in battery inverter and uses the Enphase Envoy S for energy management and monitoring. The Envoy S which measures the home’s energy usage and solar generation, directs excess solar energy into the battery for use at night.
The Enphase AC Battery pairs perfectly with new and existing solar systems using microinverters.
Founded in 1971, Delta is committed to its mission statement “To provide innovative, clean and energy-efficient solutions for a better tomorrow” by providing solar home battery solutions.
With Delta’s E5 Hybrid Energy Storage system you can benefit from solar energy even after sunset. By pairing the E5 inverter with the Bx6.0 Li-Ion you can store the excess electricity created by your solar system throughout the day.
Powered by Panasonic’s own cell “pack”, it includes 6 safety mechanisms, layered steel casing and an IP55 rating making it the safest home energy storage device. With a unique voltage range around the 100V mark, the battery allows for easy connection to the inverter.
The storage system also can operate in “standalone” conditions – meaning the battery can continue to power your home even when the grid is down.